CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

This I Believe

So, NPR has a segment I truly enjoy called "This I Believe". If you've never heard it, you can catch up via the book.

Well, I have four small children and no time to write essays, but here are some sentences to give you an idea of what I believe and what's important to me.

1) I believe that if you say, "I have a such a migraine!" while you are chatting on the phone, working, shopping, etc. you have no idea what a migraine really is. Also, you are lucky if you think *that's* a migraine.

2) My children watch Sesame Street episodes from the 70s almost exclusively. Largely because I believe that Elmo has ruined Sesame Street. He's not cute, he has no grasp whatsoever of grammar or syntax and his segment perpetuates the idea that children are little idiots that can only process tiny bits of information for 30-40 seconds at a time. Rent Old School Sesame Street and watch it. Then watch a current episode. Your mind will be blown by how much it has been sped up and dumbed down. And I blame Elmo. Jim Henson is probably rolling over in his grave.

3) I believe that reading is cool. Period.

4) I believe that the only secret to staying married is never getting divorced. No one ever sits you down when you decide to get married and explains, "This is going to be really hard." And if they did, in the high of prenuptial bliss, you wouldn't believe them. It's taken me five years and four children to realize that at some point during every argument I will think "I could just leave and this wouldn't be happening." It's human nature to look for the easiest way out. The only trick is to remember that "I could just leave and this wouldn't be happening." applies to the good times as well. Every time we watch our children laughing, every time we snuggle into bed, every time we are shocked or moved or amused by something at the same time... Every special moment that makes up your life with someone could vanish if you constantly think, "I could just leave and this wouldn't be happening." This won't work in all relationships, obviously. But for Levi and I, it does the trick. And after a few poignant moments, you find that you don't think about leaving during any times, good or bad. I love my husband more than anything. But reminding myself of that every now and then helps. : ) *This can be applied, to a lesser degree, to friendships as well. Always think it through before you decide to weed important people out of your life.*

5) I believe that hugs are about as important as food. Truly. Try to hug someone three to five times a day. Your life will be better.

3 comments:

CAGB said...

I like the part in number four about possibly losing the good times as well as the bad. Poignant. :o)

Rachel said...

I hate NPR and get angry in the morning when peter's alarm clock automatically turns on to NPR, but "this i believe" sounds promising! maybe I'll give it a chance.

to 2) I always liked Elmo, I mean I never wanted to BE him so I never tried to copy him, but i always thought he was cute

to 4) I really like this and will try and keep this in mind when i find myself fighting with friends and ready to write them off.

Rachel said...

OK and one more thing about 70's sesame street versus today's What about cookie monster? He use to be a pusher! He taught kids it was ok to eat lots of cookies and be really unhealthy and fat...today's cookie monster teaches little kids that cookies are "a sometimes treat".